Thursday, January 30, 2014

11. Acceleread Intermediate Course Lesson 2, 3, & 4

ACCELEREAD INTERMEDIATE COURSE LESSON 2

While the previous lesson focused on eliminating subvocalization, this one concentrates on discouraging regression.  The introduction notes that the reader will probably not be able to keep up with the story.  That sure was right!  Very fast.  The exercises included Word Flash three times, Columns Highlighter, and Diamond Highlighter.  The final Word Flash went at a rate of 915 WPM by the end!  Super fast.  Still, nearly possible to keep up!  It's a well designed program, meant to take the reader beyond his current limits, like any good training regimen.

ACCELEREAD INTERMEDIATE COURSE LESSON 3

This lesson continues to focus on reducing subvocalization and regression to ensure a strong foundation.  The introduction warns that the exercises will be yet faster than Lesson 2, and advises to view the words at images and silence the inner voice.  The goal is to read for speed to adapt the eye muscles to the task.

The initial Word Flash went from the 850s into the 900 WPM range, but was not too bad.  I read Jefferon's letters at that speed now.  But Columns Highlighter, although starting only at 650 and ending in the 700s, was too fast!  And yet, I'm reading The Three Musketeers at 800 WPM or more no problem with the same Columns Highlighter tool, with five columns and five-word chunk sizes. The issue I am having with this and last lesson's Columns Highlighter exercise is that the work chunks are rather small.  Thus, even at a lower WPM rate, the my eyes have to flick so fast that I don't have time (or sufficient training, I should say) to see the middle columns' words at all.  This no doubt is to cause the reader to adapt; and rather than keep the same format for higher speeds, I predict that the word chunks will increase in size, and thus increase WPM rate; but the hard work of the major eye movement training will be over.  Quite ingenious, it seems.  I resolve then to practice this style of word chunk size and rate, with three columns, and familiar text, in order to adapt.

ACCELEREAD INTERMEDIATE COURSE LESSON 4

For Lesson 4, the goal is to learn rapid refocus and to decrease fixation intervals.  As the introduction mentions, it was quite hard to keep up in comprehension; I did my best just to practice for speed, as advised.  The exercises were much the same as what has come before, just faster.

I have noticed that I apply the techniques that I've been training with very automatically now to most reading.  If I'm reading to relax, I tend not to put the full weight of concentration behind it, and default to slow reading.  But speeding up over more inconsequential material is now much easier.  Very vital skills!

No comments:

Post a Comment